DoctorAnil
DoctorAnil, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I keep getting a flashing light out of the corner of my left

I keep getting a flashing light out of the corner of my left eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  DoctorAnil replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated blurred vision,headache,dizziness?

Redness,watering of eyes?

Itching?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this has just occurred and has never happened before. I am due to go to London tomorrow but I don't want to
worry my family if this may turn into a stroke or something similar. I have no pain at all and this has never happened to me before

Please allow me just few minutes.
I’ll reply you back soon.
Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,you don't have any other associated symptoms so chances of stroke or anything serious are less likely.

Flashing lights can be due to traction on the retina from the vitreous jelly (occupies most of the volume of the back of the eye and is connected to the retina).

As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water. And some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can produce these flashes. These flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent and these are harmless.

Still you should watch for any other unusual symptoms like numbness,tingling in one side of face,blurred vision,slurred speech,headache, sudden increase in or new floaters, flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away, a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible or visit emergency room.

You should try cool compresses on eyes.

Also try OTC Systane eye drops.

Do rest.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.