wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I have over two decades of clinical experience and am also a retina specialist.
48069651

My 6 years old son suffers from Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis

Hi,My 6 years old son suffers from Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis for last 2 years. He is currently using FML drops, Opatanol and lubricant eye drop. His eye pressure was measured today and it was within the normal range but because he has been using FML drops for sometime now Dr prescribed another drop called Ciclosporin. The package leaflet says it should not be used in children. He will also have FML drops 3 more weeks and Opatanol and the lubricant until the next appointment.I wanted to get a second opinion about this drop’s safetyness and can you please give me short info about it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

Ciclosporin has nothing to do with eye pressure. It is a medication to help treat your sons vernal.

There is nothing wrong with using this drop in your 6 year old child's eye, no matter what the package insert has to say...

This medication is sold as a commercially manufactured drop in the USA under the name Restasis.

Your doctor, however, may have had a more concentrated (potent) mixture of the drug custom made for your child.

I have used this exact medication in a number of patients to treat corneal issues with very good success.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that discusses this medication:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/cyclosporine-ophthalmic-route/side-effects/drg-20063370

So. What is the take home message?

I, personally, would have no problem using this eye drop if one of my family members had Vernal keratoconjunctivitis.

It sounds like your son is getting very good care.
Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Rick!
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

My pleasure :)