MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr
Experience:  MD since 1994
239748

I have suffered with Glaucoma (genetically caused) and have

Hi, I have suffered with Glaucoma (genetically caused) and have since year 2000 been using different eye drops to minimise the pressure in both eyes, the last three years I have used Dorzolomite twice a day +Teoptic also twice and Lumigan before bedtime however Teoptic is now discontinued and I have not been able to see the specialists at City eye clinic to get advise, also I feel a deterioration in my vision and is pretty worried pt.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: I have been missing out for two month of Teoptic
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  MD Doc replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to just answer

If you have been using your glaucoma medication regularly with intraocular pressure under control and the regular visual field evaluation showing no deterioration, then your vision decrease in not due to glaucoma. There can be other causes for that like need for spectacle correction, dryness of eyes (since you are on regular eye drops since last 17 years), early development of cataract. I would recommend you to use lubricating eye drops 2-3 times a day. These are available over the counter like optive/systane/refresh tears eye drops. Also, if possible consult an optician to see for need of spectacles.

If still there there is no change then you need to get your intraocular pressures checked to look for any change

Hope this information is helpful

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response, however as I wrote in the question Glaucoma is for me a third generation genetic defect, It was discovered and explained to me by my younger sister.
What I am trying to explore on this site is: are there any eye drops that can substitute Teoptic which is no longer available in the UK. Also as I wrote I am on a regime of 3 different types of drops whereof one is no longer available.
Expert:  MD Doc replied 1 month ago.

Teoptic is basically a beta blocker eye drop. The other option in this case is timolol eye drops. In fact, there are combinations of dorzolamide with timolol eye drops available, which you can ask your doctor to prescribe. This will reduce the number of eye drops for you.

Expert:  MD Doc replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers