13262538

Can a childs surname be changed without the fathers consent?

Customer Question

Can a childs surname be changed without the fathers consent? His name is ***** ***** childs birth certificate.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question.
If the child was born after December 2002 and the father is named on the birth certificate then you can only change the name with the father's consent or an Order from the Court.
Indeed if the child is under 16 then even if the child was born before December 2002 you will need an Order from the Court if you wish the passport to be in the new name.
The courts are always reluctant to agree to a full name change unless there is a clear reason for doing so.
Claire