13262538

What is the normal procedure for divorce? My wife an I seperated

Customer Question

What is the normal procedure for divorce? My wife an I seperated 6 months ago. She and my son moved out of our family home while I have remained there. Nothing has happened yet in terms of starting the divorce and I'm unclear what it means to start 'divorce proceedings'. Do I have to wait a minimum of 2 years to start the proceedings (we live in Northern Ireland) or can I do that now and what process does that take?
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
The only immediate grounds for divorce are Unreasonable behaviour or Adultery - otherwise you will have to live apart for two years (if you both agree to the divorce) or for five years if not
You can find out more here
https://www.gov.uk/divorce/overview
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife is trying to move to another country with my son. Would this count as unreasonable behaviour?

Moving out of the house with the child is Unreasonable - as is any irritating behaviour which you found difficult to live with
Claire