Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

How can I sell my half of a shared house

Customer Question

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Could you give me a little more information please? ie is the property owned by you and an ex partner for example?

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other half is jointly owned by my wife who doesn't want to raise any cash

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had already answered your request. The other owner is my Wife who does not want to raisl any cash

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

I take it that you are not separating from your Wife? Do you have a Mortgage on the property?

Do you have someone in mind who may wish to purchase your half share?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need as much info as possible to enable me to give you a full answer.

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about the malfunction. I am living with her and we have no mortgage. I will be 90 next tuesday and I would like to spend a few pounds on the house before it is too late,

From what you have told me about your circumstances, I am afraid it is highly highly unlikely that you will be successful in "selling your half share". On the basis that you will no doubt wish to remain living in the propaerty, no private individual or Company will be interested in acquiring your "half share". Therefore, unless you have someone lined up already, who is prepared to buy your half share, there is no recognised body who acquire such shares in a property. I must say, even if there was such a body, it would cause all sorts of potential problems if you were to sell, as this third party wold then become joint legal owner with your Wife, and they could in theory request that the house be sold at a future date to enable them to realise their half share. I'm sure this would not go down well with you or your Wife!

The only logical way of raising funds would be to take out an equity release scheme on the property, but your Wife would have to consent to this as joint owner.

I am sorry there is therefore no magical solution to your problem, but if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankl you.That was very helpful. My wife will not spend any money on the house as she wants to leave her sister most of our wealth. I would like to have some jobs done to the house which will save me from hedge trimmin and keeping the weeds down in the garden. You have been a great help and I would definitely use you again if I need.

Best wishes,

Victor

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your kind words and am glad I have been able to help.

If you are happy with my answer, I would be grateful if you cold leave positive feedback, so I may get credited for my time.

All the Best

AL

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought I had already done that. I was very pleased the way it all went and I did like your answers. I would also say that Iwould use you again.

Best wishes,

Vic Tindll

Hi Vic,

Many thanks.

The system is not showing that you have "accepted" my answer/confirmed that you are happy with the service, so if you are happy to do that, I would appreciate it.

Best Wishes

AL