13262538

Hi my ex girlfriend is due to give birth very soon, we havnt

Customer Question

Hi my ex girlfriend is due to give birth very soon, we havnt spoken for 2 months but before then id given her some money to buy things and we had agreed id be part of the babys life. we argued about me not being able to give her any more money and she has told me she no longer needs me and doesnt want me in hers or the babys life and she wont be putting me on the birth certificate. i want to know where i stand with this? i want to be in the babys life and will fight her all the way through court. what do i need to do? how much expense am i looking at and how long will it take. the baby was due 3 days ago but as far as i know she hasnt had it yet.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the court will enforce this if necessary
Whilst you cannot force your ex to register you as the father of the baby you can apply to be added to the Certificate - and also for a Parental Responsibility Order so that you have the right to be consulted on all major issues in the child's life
Once the baby is born you should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
If that fails then you will have to make a formal application to the court.
He can get help and support from Families need Fathers (www.fnf.org.uk)
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if i was to make an application to the court how long would the whole process take? would there be dna texts etc? thanks

You cannot make the application until after the baby is born and after you have tried mediation.
There will only be DNA tests if you deny that you are the father.
A full application can take between three and nine months on average
Claire