Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Separation when not married child and businesses.

Customer Question

I have been with my partner for 3 years and we have a 2 year old son. We are not married. We have always lived together in rented accommodation. When we began our relationship I made the decision to leave my current career to work with him running a pub business - this wasn't difficult as I had always worked in hospitality and have many relevant qualifications. I worked full time in the business up until the baby was born and once he was old enough I then started to work again and am currently. The business has turned over a substantial amount of money and is now up for sale for a substantial amount of money (a lease which was of no value when acquired as the business wasn't running successfully - my partner admittedly paid for fixtures, fittings and stock initially and i made no investment). I have never taken a wage from the business. In fact in the 3 years of this relationship I have personally got into debt. I have been controlled financially...anything I need for myself or our child I have to ask him for the money (never often, but having been very independent all my life I find this situation very odd and unfair). I don't even have enough money to pay my own phone bill. Any profit from the business has been used to fund our modest rent and food - no luxuries. The rest and the majority has gone to him personally to cover mortgages on other properties he owns as well as expensive school fees and support for his other, older children. It gets more complicated in that while our child was very young we set up another restaurant business which is also running successfully and is not up for sale. The investment put into this came from the income from the other pub business. Anyway now we are talking about separation and I am being told by him that I am entitled to nothing...He has been very careful to put the leases on the businesses in his name only, and he is the sole director of the 2 companies they are operating as. I want to know if there is anyway I will be able to leave this relationship in a position to start my own business, or if have I been foolish and I am now destined to a life of having to have help from others, including him and in more debt now than I was when I met him?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

Are you a shareholder of the two Companies?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi no I am not.
Expert:  WendyW-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Wendy