13262538

My sons girlfriend has just ended their relationship for no

Customer Question

My sons girlfriend has just ended their relationship for no apparent reason and they have a 3month old daughter. He's on the birth certificate as her dad. He would like to know his rights but finding it a difficult subject to think about.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please can you tell me what his rights are for access to the child and what he would need to do to get joint custody
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
Your son has Parental Responsibility for his child and the right to be consulted on all major issues in her life -such as which schools she goes to and health matters - and his ex cannot take her abroad without his agreement or an order from the court.
The child has a legal right to regular personal contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
That contact could include overnight contact - if not immediately then as soon as the contact settles down - and increasingly this is leading to shared residence arrangements.
Your son should try and discuss matters with his ex using Family Mediation
He can find out more here
http://www.divorceaid.co.uk/child/parents.html
www.fnf.org.uk
Claire