13262538

i have a child the farther has been non exsistent sine she

Customer Question

i have a child the farther has been non exsistent sine she was 13 days old and has now decide now shes two he wants to be involved, i offered him contact when she was newborn but he refused it as i wouldnt be present, hes not on the birth certificate and i dont take money off him as i can support my child myself. he does use drugs and has been arrested in the last year for fighting while drunk , will i be forced to let him see my child
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

This is not an instant
service so sometimes you will get a response in minutes and sometimes it will
be hours, or even overnight. We all have clients and court and other users and
travelling and weekends and evenings and misc interruptions etc. in addition,
we are lawyers, not typists and some of us can't type that fast!

We will get back when we are online which is on and off all of every day usually

How old is she now?

Is he working?

Can we have full background please?

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the Courts will enforce this if necessary.
The fact that he has waited to express an interest in contact will not mean no contact I am afraid.
The fact that he has a drink and drugs problem does mean that he will be expected to show his commitment to contact - and to building a relationship with the child in a safe and secure environment.
Rather than simply refusing contact (however understandable tempting) instead offer contact for two hours once a fortnight at a local contact centre
If he stays drug and drink free and builds a relationship with the child then you can discuss how it should move on - if not then he will have lost his best chance of contact with no harm coming to the child or you
Claire