13262538

My sons father has moved abroad for a few years (Muscat) with

Customer Question

My sons father has moved abroad for a few years (Muscat) with his wife, he wants our 12 yr old son to go out and live there for a year and my son is keen but where do i stand if he decides to keep him out there longer?
My name is Claire, I will do my best to assist with your question.
Were you ever married to your sons father and are you willing for him to go abroad for a year?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi,we were never married and i am (sort of) ok with him going for a year but no longer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry but are you able to give an answer or any advice to me please?

Have you given the father Parental Responsibility for the child is any way?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, but he is registered on the birth certifcate

Then the father does not have Parental Responsibility - which certainly strengthens your chances of insisting on the return of the child after a year
However my concern is that you could have difficulties in enforcing the return after a year.
This is partly because after the child has lived in the country for a year it is the laws of that country which will apply in any dispute over residence - and because there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK and Oman/Muscat which woudl enable you to insist on the return of the child.
Before saying yes to this you must speak to the Charity Reunite (www.reunite.org) who will have some knowledge of the legal system there
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou very much for your advice

You are most welcome - please be careful
Claire