Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

why am i not entitled to a state pension

Customer Question

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Who has told you you are not entitled?

What reasons did they give?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the Pension Service

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

How many years have you been working in the UK and paying national insurance contributions?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since i was 16 years old and i am now 64 and still having to work due to the fact that i do not get a pension

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

You have worked for 48 years and you have paid national insurance contributions during all of this time.

Correct?

What reasons were you given by the pension service?

Tomn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they said i had not paid enough ni contributions as i was paying married womens contributions due to the fact i have always worked for low pay

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

How much were you earning roughly per year during most of your qualifying years?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Approx from 4,000 to 6,000

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i've got to go out now

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

It’s quite difficult to tell definitively without having access to the precise amount that you have earned over the years. For that you would need to instruct a benefits lawyer directly.

What I think they will be saying is that a number of the years that you have worked are not “qualifying years” for the purpose of working out your eligibility for a state pension. You must have 30 qualifying years in order to be eligible for a full basic state pension.

If you are employed and earning below £5, 564 per year then the year in which you earned this would not be counted as a qualifying year for the purpose of working out whether you have 30 qualifying years.

If you have received this in writing from them then I would write back to them querying the years in which they consider you have not earned enough for it to be a qualifying year. If you there are a number of years where you have earned more then you need to ensure that they have included these in their calculation. Ask them to expand in detail on why they consider you do not have enough qualifying years.

If you do not agree with what they say in reply then you may consider taking your papers and details of yoru earnings to a benefits lawyer to get their views on whether it has been calculated correctly.

Sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: UK solicitor
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You say that as i may not have the full qualifying years for a full pension shouldn't i receive any money at all seeing that i have been paying n.i. contributions although at the married womans allowance?

Is it possible for you to tell me ,why is it that a person that has not worked and has not paid n.i. all their life are entitled to a state pension.

Annette

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
I will answer at 9