13262538

I have a question regarding jurisdiction for divorce under

Customer Question

I have a question regarding jurisdiction for divorce under the EU Brussels II convention.

The convention states that the country where divorce proceedings are initially started takes priority. I have lived in the UK for the past year and want to start divorce proceedings against my wife who lives in Ireland. Unfortunately in Ireland you have to be separated at least 4 years before you can even apply for a divorce which could then take another year to process, and it is extremely expensive too. We are over 3 years separated and I would like to start proceedings from the Uk however there may be one obstacle. About a year ago my wife applied for a 'judicial separation'. She soon realised it was pointless and that waiting until eligible for divorce would be better. However, in her applying for a 'judicial separation' is that initiating family law proceedings ie starting the application for divorce and hence take priority? Or that fact that she hasn't applied for an actual 'divorce' as stated in the Brussels II Convention does that mean if I applied in the UK for divorce that the UK would take priority?

So basically my question is, in the Brussels II Convention around divorce is it 'family law' or 'divorce' proceedings initial application that they refer to?
Did your wife actually withdraw her application?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, she served my solicitor with the judicial separation request/order (or whatever it's called) about a year ago but nothing has been done about it. So they haven't been withdrawn. She will want to proceed in Ireland. So does this mean that 'divorce proceedings' have been started in Ireland or not as they are only Judicial separation proceedings? If the EU convention said 'if familiy law proceedings are started in one country that country takes priority then I know I would have no case and Ireland would take priority but instead of 'family law' proceedings it says 'divorce' proceedings. I just want to clarify if I can start divorce proceedings in the UK,

Many thanks,

Pauric

The issue for precedence is the nature of the proceedings - so if you had wished to try for Judicial Separation in the Uk then you could not have done so - but since what you want is a Divorce you can!
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wow Claire! I wasn't expecting that! I had spoken to my family lawyer in Ireland who had said to me that as 'family law' proceedings had been initiated in Ireland that they would take priority. The wording of 'divorce' in the convention covered all 'family law' matters including 'judicial separation' as in this case. So as you can see I need to be 100% on this one. Is there any where that proves this or any precedence or any exact leglistation that states that it has to be 'divorce proceedings' that the convention is referring to and not any 'family law' proceedings. On what basis are you giving that answer?

My sincere apologies if this sounds like I am in any way doubting your answer it's just that it's very hard to get an exact answer on it and the info I have gotten so far is conflicting and I want to be 100% confident before I apply for divorce in the UK with rock solid evidence to base it on,

Many thanks,

Pauric

Please do not apologise - you are right to question and the truth is that there is an ambiguity in the law ans interestingly I can find no Case law on the issue to refer you to.
It is quite clear that if Divorce Proceedings had been issued in Ireland then they would take precedence - and equally clear that if you issued a Divorce Petition in the Uk and then your ex amended the Judicial Separation process to the Divorce process then the Irish proceedings would again take precedence.
However as things stand the process that has been started is not a Divorce process and as such you can commence one.
However f your ex does not agree then you could face difficult in any event - especially if you chose the Unreasonable Behaviour Route - the only one currently open to you
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Claire,

I have done some looking up on line too, what I have found is the Brussells II doc (http://www.reunite.org/edit/files/Library%20-%20International%20Regulations/Brussels%20II.pdfhttp://www.reunite.org/edit/files/Library%20-%20International%20Regulations/Brussels%20II.pdf) under Article 19 point 1 it includes the wording 'legal separtion' after divorce. I would assume this means judicial separation too? And hence Ireland takes priority?

In Ireland you have to be separated 4 years before you can apply for a divorce which will apply for me on July 13th this year. It then could take a year for it to come before the courts.

The Irish divorce system is very complex and old and therefore expensive too mainly due to being a very catholic country. The fact that I now live in the UK I want to be proactive in using more modern laws now at my disposal!

Regards,

Pauric

Brussels II covers Divorce, Nullity and Judicial Separation which are three separate processes.
Since they are not the same process it is open to argument whether or not starting one process prevents you from starting a separate one
There is no case law I can find on the issue - which is why it woudl be worth trying IF your ex will agree a divorce
Claire