Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My partner and I split up 5 years ago but still have a joint

Customer Question

My partner and I split up 5 years ago but still have a joint mortgage. The property is approximately £30k in negative equity but we want to sell it (it is currently rented out). My partner is saying she can't pay anything towards the negative equity. What can I do?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Does your partner have any funds to pay the £30k? What you could do is sell the property and then pay off the £30k yourself at which point you would be entitled to sue your co mortgagor for a contribution.

Would you be prepared to sue your partner?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for coming back to me. I could pay the deficit with the help of my new partner. I know my ex has recently had a baby so I'm not sure of her personal financial situation but do know that her partner is in a position to help.

I would be prepared to sue but I guess it is cost vs benefit - how much is it likely to cost me and if she doesn't have any assets what is the likely outcome?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

It would only be worthwhile suing if you knew your partner had assets otherwise it is good money after bad.

Have northern rock refused to negotiate?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well we had offered a lump sum of £10k as full and final settlement for my half which they refused but I might give them a call to see if I can try again with a slightly higher amount...

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

The best way to convince a bank of your offer and is to provide them with the justification for the offer
I.e an offer based on affordability.

If you show the bank at least a statement of means an assets and show what you can pay now and what you can afford in instalments (subject to a cap) they are much more likely to accept it. I would not however agree to pay any more than £15k.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ