Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

Can my children get free school education in the UK after we

Customer Question

Can my children get free school education in the UK after we have been living and working abroad in Doha, Qatar for more than 2 years? What are the conditions?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

What nationality are you please?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry- we are all British Citizens with British passports. So far we have only been out of the UK for 6 months.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

You retain the same rights of any other UK citizen in respect of education. This means that your children have a right to free state school education regardless of the fact that you have been outside the UK.

Were you to return to the UK your children could register with a local school in the normal way and start attending free of charge.

There are no conditions to this really, save for the fact that you will have to apply for the school which is in the catchment area in the locality where you live.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why is it that my friends, who are Tunisian by birth, but who all are British citizens, all holding British passports, have been told that they cannot get a free education for their children in the UK, nor any Housing Benefit, because they were out of the country for a small number of years? They were told that they had to work in the UK for a year before receiving such privileges, although they worked for many years, paying British taxes before they left. They were told that for each year of British Education, (for each child?), they needed to pay 25 000 pounds, as far as I have heard from a mutual friend!

Perhaps the law has changed because of the Government's recent cuts? Are you sure that the same will not happen to my family? All my children were born in the UK, as were my friends' children. Do our rights depend upon each local authority, or how many years exactly we have been abroad? Or have my friends been treated unjustly or unfairly?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I will be able to answer at 10..

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

It is correct to say that you would not be immediately entitled to housing benefit. Even though you are UK citizens, eligiblity for housing benefit depends on being resident in the UK, which essentially means that you permanently live in the UK. If you are returning to the UK then you cannot provbe this immediately and would have to wait for a period of time until the assessment officer is satisfied that you are returning to the UK to live here permanently.

There are no fees for primary or secondary schooling, but there are university tuition fees. If you are not classed as resident in the UK (eg. because you have returned recently) then you will be classed as an international student, which means that your childrne will have to pay the much higher fees for university tuition than if you were classed as resident in the UK. This might be what your friend was talking about.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom