13262538

what does "maintenance " cover ? I am separated from husband

Customer Question

what does "maintenance " cover ? I am separated from husband but we have 2 children and joint custody
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my "husband" pays me a monthly fee for maintenance for our two children who we have joint custody of but i want to know what that money covers. Is it so i can pay my household bills , food .etc for my house . clothes for my children, dinner money shoe s school uniform etc.

Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist you.
Maintenance does indeed cover everything that you have listed - it is his contribution to the expenses housing feeding clothing and caring for the children.
If he is paying at the CSA rate then there are no other monies you can ask for I am afraid
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok then am i meant to buy "all" the clothes? if my children have no underwear at his house he asks me to buy it and any other clothing items for his house as i receive the maintenance, surely if joint custody he should be responsible for also buying clothing for his children at his house

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
im happy that "maintenance" from my exhusband covers my household bills clothes shoes for my children, dinnermoney etc etc but do i have to buy clothes for my childrens wardrobe at his house. he thinks i should buy all clothes for children as he pays maintenance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My apologies for the delay.
How many nights a week do the children spend with him?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

3 a week

Just to check - I assume that his maintenance payment is adjusted to reflect that?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Then that is your answer to him - your maintenance is reduced because of the nights the children spend with him to reflect the fact that he is expected to house feed and clothe them whilst they are with him!
It is up to him to ensure that they have sufficient underwear whilst they are with him - not you!
Claire