Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have been married to my husband for 7 years, together for

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 7 years, together for nearly 10. We live together with my two children from a previous marriage. The house we share was his, and the deeds are in his name. He is now thinking about separation/divorce, what are my rights, if any?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are 15 and 12
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
There was no answer!
I will do my best to assist but need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and how much do you each earn?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The house is probably worth in excess of £295,000, with approx £105,000 in mortgage left to pay. We have two vehicles, he mainly drives avFord Thunder, I drive a Peugeot 207. He earns in excess of 80,000 a year, I earn approx £12,000 a year. I have been working part time so that I can look after my children, plus my Husband and mine 4 dogs, plus the house as he works away from home 6 weeks out of 8.
May I ask if you brought any capital to the relationship?
How much would you need to rehouse yourself and the children?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't bring any capital with me, i do pay some of the household bills, buy all the food for the house and have done all the decorating etc? I have no idea how much it would cost to rehouse us.
May I ask what accommodation you and your children were in prior to moving in with your husband?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We lived in a rented farmhouse with my ex husband
Your rehousing costs could be the key here - could you give me some idea what they might be?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I really have no idea, to rent a 3 bed property could be around £1000 a calendar month, a new home could be around £165,000, but these are just guesses looking at the housing market in this area.