13262538

my partner has given me notice of severance of the joint tenancy

Customer Question

my partner has given me notice of severance of the joint tenancy we hold in favour of tenancy in common. I do not agree with this. where do i stand.
Thank you for your question, I will do my best to assist you.
Unfortunately since you have received the Notice the deed is done and the property is now held by you both as Tenants in Common in equal shares.
If you wish to challenge proportions then you will have to apply to the court under the Trusts of Land And Appointment of Trustees Act for an order stating what share of the property you each own.
This is not worthwhile if you are in fact married
I am sorry that the news is not better - but I have to tell you the law as it is I am afraid
If you need further clarification please do not hesitate to ask
Claire