13262538

child tax credits when sharing custudy

Customer Question

Hi, me and my husband have seperated and we both share custody of our little boy. my husband picks him up at 12 on sunday and I pick him up at 4pm on wednesday. I receive the child tax credits being the mother but my husband is demanding half of these. He is living with his mum and earning more money than I am and ive had to go into rented property and can only work 16 hours a week. Is he intiltled to half the child tax credits for having our son half the week? He said it doesnt matter how much either of us earn because the money is for our son! Is this the case if not where do I stand and what can he do if I decide not to pay it?

Thankyou

Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
You do not have to share the Tax Credits with your ex even though he has the child three nights a week, there is no provision for such benefits to be shared
I hope that this is of assistance to you
Claire