13262538

My 16 year old niece was moved by her mother to a friends

Customer Question

My 16 year old niece was moved by her mother to a friend's address following a series of abusive arguments. My sister has now moved back home, and my niece is refusing to go with her. My sister is an alcoholic and lives with my mother who is also an alcoholic -they are both chaotic and abusive to each other. My niece wishes to move in with my husband and I. Where do we stand legally on this?
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Can I assume that her mother will not agree to the move?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Probably not

Given her age if you niece moves to live with you then no one - not her parents social services nor the police - can prevent her from doing so.
If she remains in education you can apply for Child Benefit - and apply to the CSA for maintenance from her parents
I hope that this is of assistance to you - please ask if you need any further information.
Claire