13262538

I married my wife in july 2009. We were both 43 and had grown

Customer Question

I married my wife in july 2009. We were both 43 and had grown up children from previous marriages/relationships. we have never co habited since our marriage and have kept separate homes. I have financed my wife during our marriage yet have received absolutely nothing in return. Now she wants to divorce. her assets are considerably less than mine. A

How much am i obliged to pay for this divorce from a marriage which clearly my wife only sought to engage in for an easy payday. She has contributed nothing. I have contributed a substantial amount. Is she entitled to any of my assets? Am i entitled to hers?
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each have and what is the extent of each of your assets?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My income is 30k per annum.

Currently my wife earns circa 10k as she chooses not to take on full time employment.

we havent co habited for two years. My wife owns two houses she believes are worth 750k. My assets are probably circa 900k.

We both had these assets before we entered the marriage.

During our marriage my wife invested and lost 120k. During our marriage I payed for all our goings out together( entertainment, holidays, dining as well as her cosmetics, clothing etc). My wife has financially contributed nothing.

Where do I stand?

May I ask if your wife has actually asked for a settlement?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No she hasn t asked for a penny. But I m worried she ll meet another who will coerce her to try and get everything she can.

What does the law state? What is the worst I can expect?

Basically our short marriage was over within 6 months. We looked at divorcing then but were told no grounds for divorce as u have to be married for a year. We havent co habited since then and I ve provided considerable financial support . During the same time my wife has contributed absolutely nothing

Given the situation that you have described it is unlikely that a court would make any award in favour of either of you.
Yours is a relatively short relationship and your assets are reasonable well balanced - in so far as you can both house yourselves adequately and can support yourselves.
Given your lack of financial links your worst case scenario might be a relatively small amount of spouse maintenance for a limited time.
You will not be able to recover what you have spent!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire