Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I live in Belfast, my mother is in a nursing home in Isle of

Customer Question

I live in Belfast, my mother is in a nursing home in Isle of Man where my sister also resides.
My sister and I have joint Power of Attorney for my mother's affairs. My mother is 91 and has dementia. My sister has made my mother write a handwritten statement saying I have taken money from her account without authorisation. The handwriting is very frail and difficult to decipher. This accusation is not true. My mother has no recollection of having done this. I have received an accusatory letter from my sister and would like to take it to a solicitor to see if I should respond or simply ignore it. My brother-in-law is a solicitor in the Isle of Man and he has obviously written the letter although it is in my sisters name. My fear is that by not responding I am condoning the accusations. Do I need to contact an Isle of Man solicitor or is it sufficient to go to a solicitor in Belfast?