Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My dad passed away 6 months ago he knew he was dying and in

Customer Question

My dad passed away 6 months ago he knew he was dying and in his last few days made a will with my stepmother present.
I have asked a numer of times for a copy of the will and applied for a copy from the probate office with no luck.
Apparantly the will did not go to proate as the solicitor holding the will agreed with my stepmother that it was mainly joint assets so probate was not needed.
The house was in my dads name he added my stepmother to the title at roughly the same time so the house was in joint names.
I have recieved items left to me in the will but not been given a copy or been able to see the will.
Am i entitled to see the will and was the solicitor correct in handing over the will and not puting it to proate.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate. will they not show it to you?

How long were they married? Why do you want to see it? Dont you think you have had what has been left to you? How close were you to yr father?

Do you intend to dispute the will? Why?