Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have lived with my partner for 13 years in a 4-bedroom house,

Customer Question

I have lived with my partner for 13 years in a 4-bedroom house, we have two kids and we now want to seperate. We also own a 2-bed flat which we let. I have paid the mortgage on our 4-bed house for 10 years but my partner lived in the house before me for 4 years.

We are both jointly on the deeds for both properties? I would be happy to keep the flat but my partner wants to house and for us to sell the flat and take half of the equity each. I would like to live in the flat. I would be happy for her to have the house if she gives me the flat. What should I do?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much are the two properties worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgages?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The outstanding repayment mortgage on the house is 127,000 and the interest only mortgage on the flat is 113,000. Both me and my partner are named on the deeds as owners of both properties. Do I own 50% of the properties?

How much are the properties worth and was a Declaration of Trust signed in respect of either of them ?
Claire