How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34232
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HelloI need to know the amount of support I am entitled

Customer Question


I need to know the amount of support I am entitled to get from my husband, we are separated, for my children 11 and 8 years old, and for me as long as I am looking for work.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only information I would like to share is that my husband earns monthly ca 1850 pounds. We live separated and I need to know what amount of maintenance I should expect for my children 11 and 8 and for me (if I am entitled) , at the moment I am looking for a job.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No more information! Waiting for you reply with the answer!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, but this is not an instant service because we
are all solicitors

in practice. We all have clients and court and other users on this site and

travelling and weekends and evenings etc. So sometimes you may get a response

in minutes but sometimes it may be hours. We also need time to type out

CSA rates of child maintenance for a non resident parent earning £200-£800
per week nett, are 12% for one child, 16%
for 2 and 19% for 3 or more children living 100% with the resident parent. That
is reduced by 1/7 for each 52 nights the child stays with the non-resident
parent. There is also a reduction in the non-resident parent is responsible for
other children. The rates increase for higher earners and decrease for low

CSA child maintenance is payable till the children reach 20 years old or leave
full-time non-advanced education. Non-advanced education is generally classed
as a level, not University, but there are some further education courses which
are not classed as advanced. Full-time courses can be as little as 12 hours per

education courses include: a degree,Diploma of Higher
Education (DHE), NVQ level 4 or above, BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC)
or Higher National Diploma (HND), teacher

'Non-advanced' education includes
the following: GCSEs, A levels

NVQ/SVQ level 1, 2 or 3, BTEC National Diploma, National Certificate and 1st
Diploma, SCE higher grade or similar

The CSA booklet is here

Which contains lots more info


Can I help further?


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
At present you are in fact entitled to 20% of his net income by way of child maintenance as the new figures have not yet been rolled out for new applications involving only two children.
There are indeed reductions if your ex has the children more than 52 nights a year or he has other children in his household
In addition the rates quoted above apply to gross and not nett income
Given his level of income it is unlikely - although not impossible - that you will get spouse maintenance as your benefit entitlements plus your child maintenance should cover your "reasonable needs".
However if the mortgage is high then it is possible that a small amount of spouse maintenance will be ordered to cover it
I hope that this is of assistance