Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

How can I ensure our son benefits on our death. we have been

Customer Question

How can I ensure our son benefits on our death. we have been married for foty one years, have one son and own our home etc. My husband was married before and has four children - all over 50 - from that mariage. He does not want to make a will claiming "it all goes to you" if I raise the matter. I have made a paersonal one leaving everything to our son. What would happen if we both died.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

How old is your son?

Did a solicitor draft your Will?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Our son is 42.

no it was a DIY one from the post office.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Our son if 42

The will was a DIY will from the post office.

your system doesnt seem to accept my email address when it asks for it!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean that he wont write a will? I am not certain what the problem is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband aviods the matter. I dont know why but the point is, we are getting older whilst he procrastinates!. So in the absence of a will who would benefit under english law?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

As his wife you get the 1st £325k and a life interest in the remainder. The other half goes to his children.

The full rules on intestacy are here http://www.graysons.co.uk/wills-intestacy.html

If you are younger than him and you are killed together in a crash for example, he is deemed to dies 1st and things pass to you 1st and then in accordance with yr will.

Does that answer? I am happy to answer specific points for you.