Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I have two children aged 10 and 6. Their farther has servere

Customer Question

I have two children aged 10 and 6. Their farther has servere mentel health problems and can be violent. Four years ago while the children were seeing him he had a violet outbuurst that frightnend the childrens and ever since they have refused to have anything to do with him. He did take me to court to try and obtain some sort of access but on the day of the hearing did not turn up. Both children want nothing to do with him and have made this very clear. I have said to them both that if ever they change their minds I would give them my full support and make sure that the visits were supervised, however they have told me blankly to not ask them again. My question is that they repeatedly keep asking me if they can change their surname would they be able too, they have not seen their farther for nearly 3 years? Regards xxxx

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you
I am afraid that you will need either the consent of their father or an order from the court.
To get the order you would need to involve your ex and I have to say that your children are still too young for their wishes on the issue of contact to be decisive - although his past history should be sufficient to count against contact.
The courts view changing children's names to be a very significant matter and there is no guarantee of success - however there would be slightly more chance of success if you apply to hyphenate the surname with your own
I hope that whilst not what you wish to hear you find this useful - please ask if you need further information
Claire

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, you may compensate the Expert by rating their answer as satisfactory; however, if you still need help with your question, please feel free reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.