Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

how do i dissolve a business partnership with my husband the

Customer Question

how do i dissolve a business partnership with my husband the business is a pub
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Have been in this pub partnership for 18 months i have had pubs before

and i run the catering my husband runs the bar he has not been in this trade before and do not feel i can continue working with him I did not put any money in as the money was loaned from a relative of his . t he pub runs on 75percent catering food sales

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a partnership agreement? When you say "dissolve" what exactly do you mean?

Is there a lease? In joint names? Does he want out or to carry on?We need full background please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES WE HAVE A PARTNER ship agreement in joint names we signed a lease he would not be able to carry on as the pub is totally food led and ato employ a chef it would not be financially viable the total money into the business was £50,000 and current trade is £3,000 weekly

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you need more information

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am offline shortly but will be on line tomorrow. So what do you want? Walk away?

We need full background and details of what you want to achieve.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i would like to walk away would i have to pay him for leaving the business i would like to live near my daughter and son in the midlands I want to have money that i put into a house which we are unable to sell but it is in his sole name i put 80,000 into the property as i sold a flat and my business when i met him

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am going to opt out of this for another expert to consider as it has now become a mix of matrimonial and business. Please do not reply or it
comes back into my inbox. Another expert will pick it up at some stage. It is
now open to all experts.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i will wait for a reply

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou

Thank you for your question
Are you considering Divorce proceedings
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes or live seperatetely as i know divorce is expensive and as i would only want money from the house we bought together in his sole name i put in 80.000 into the house in 2004

Why can the property not be sold?
What is the Notice Period on the Pub Lease
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the property has been on the market for 18 months and the price has been dropped. no notice period on the pub lease but would have to find a buyer and as the current climate with pubs it would be difficult to sell and the takings would not show a profitable business with the rent that has to be paid 22,000 per year and takings around 3,000 weekly

Does the price need to be dropped further?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou yes can be dropped further but would be more beneficiall to have the rent in pub lowered i have already asked but he has said that we would have to pay back at a later date which would not help

Are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no as it is too expensive and i cannot afford to do that

What income do you have available to you and could I ask why you think a divorce is expensive?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I earn 175 pounds per week for 6 days sometimes 7days . Lawyers fees are expensive

I cannot argue with that statement - but you do not need to use a lawyer to get the divorce under way (or indeed at all) and the easiest way of achieving all that you need is within the financial side of divorce proceedings
However I realise I did not ask you what the financial penalties of walking away from the Pub lease would be?
Claire