vincent2013
vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
74366787

Hi can you tell me if a 12 year old child can keep their own

Customer Question

Hi can you tell me if a 12 year old child can keep their own passport and refuse to give to either parent Thank You.
Expert:  vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is Greg and I'm going to help you with your question.

Whilst a child can travel alone on a passport from 14 onwards and a child can apply for an adult passport from the age of 16 (without the requirment for any parental consent), there are no general provisions that would expressly permit a minor to keep a passport if someone with parental responsibility asked that minor to surrender it to them.

I'm sorry that's its bad news but it's important that I give you honest advice, so that you know where you and your grandaughter stand.

Let me know if I can help further.