Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

We have a mortgage and my husband wants a divorce do I have

Customer Question

We have a mortgage and my husband wants a divorce do I have to pay half the market value to buy him out, or half of the mortgage that has been paid
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.The norm is that you would pay him a share of the equity in the house and the title would be transferred to you as would the mortgage and you would take on the mortgage as your own. The amount you would have to pay him would depend on what other property there is to be divided and what the particular family circumstances are.Happy to discuss further.I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.