13262538

can my ex wife legally stop contact with my son because of

can my ex wife legally stop contact with my son because of new partner?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
What contact have you had until now and what is your ex's objection to your new partner
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Claire

we have had a unoffical agreement of sat pm till sun pm sometimes this is changed to fri pm to sun depending if ive taken him out for the day or similar.

her objection as far as i can tell is that she doesnt know my new partner and the fact i didnt tell her that i was seeing my new partner.

from the point she found out she has threatened me with removal of contact ,

before this point i had paid my maintenance through the bank and not involved the CSA but after this started i decided that i should go through that route and i rang them.

Mart

May I ask how long you have been with your new partner?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

around about 3 months but my son was not introduced to her and her daughter until a couple of weeks ago

mart

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
You have clearly behaved entirely appropriately in the approach that you have taken - there is no absolute requirement for new partners to be introduced to the other parent.
I suggest that you offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) since it woudl be unfortunate if the amicable arrangements you have to date break down - but if she persists in her approach then you may have to apply to the court for a defined and enforceable order.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years