Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Hi, I was in a relationship with a man for 14 years and we

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a relationship with a man for 14 years and we had two children, who are now 11 and 15. Two and a half years ago I moved out and we decided that the kids would live alternate weeks at each home. I proposed that he would have one year to sort out buying me out. The year passed and nothing happened. I then proposed that we could remove my name from the mortgage, and arrange an agreement where he could stay in the house until the youngest is 18 and then sell the house. But nothing happened with that either, until I discovered at his property a letter addressed to me at out jointly owned house. It was a letter from a credit agency that now deals with our mortgage. It turns out he has missed three payments within 5 months and after talking to them they told me if he misses one payment the house will be reposessed. This was in May. I have now said to him that the house needs to be sold, because I through that have now aquired a very poor credit rating, but he won't agree to a date. This apparently will stick with me for three years after the dept has been cleared.I have said by the 1.st of september I want it on the market, but he keeps saying we will see. Can I force him to sell the house in these circumstances. I think I have been more than reasonable in these circumstances. I hope you can help. K.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The mortgage is £170.000, was £167.000 before he missed the payments. The house in a good well maintained condition is likely to fetch around £220.000, but in the last two years it hasn't been maintained and looks completely run down. Weeds out front etc. Pots dried out with wilted plants. Inside needs decorating. It is an interest only mortgage.

Kristine

How much might it fetch now?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I would think £195.000 . Thanks