13262538

Ex partners other half - rights over my daughter?!

Customer Question

My ex partners other half (of about 5 years) has been forcing my daughter to have her hair cut against her and my will when she goes to stay with them every other weekend. Do I have any rights here? My daughter was distressed when she came home today sadly it seems that she was too frightened to tell the truth about what had happened in front of her father. He told me (infront of her) that she had asked to have her hair cut, she said she was forced and he told her she was a liar. She got very upset. My daughter had spent the last two weeks asking me to speak to him and tell him not to get her hair cut as she wants to grow it, I spoke to him and he agreed. She later tells me that Claire (the partner) forced her but Daddy didn't mind if she didn't want her hair cut.

Extra information: My daughter is 7 years old.

Thank you for your question
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Are there any court orders in place regarding Residence and Contact
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, regular contact was sorted via a solicitor about three years ago but no court order.

Do you have any contact with the partner?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have contact with my ex partner and everything is normally amicable but i have only seen claire twice in 5 years. the first time was when i demanded to meet hwr after i found out ahe had been the sole reaponsible carer/adult on the weekends ahe was visiting them as my ex was working.

claire will do what she can to avoid any direct communication or contact with me.

For clarity your ex's partner has no rights or responsibility towards the child at all
If need be you could take this matter to court.
I am sure that you do not wish to - but that is the ultimate option.
I would suggest that you first write to the partner a polite letter saying that your daughter wishes to grow her hair and could she please not cut it as you have no wish for this to become an issue between you all BUT that you will take it further if need be.
You could remind her - politely - that she has no right to make this decision for your daughter
You could follow that up with an offer to go to Family Mediation to discuss this and any other issues that have arisen.
Only if that fails should you consider an application to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent your ex of anyone else having the child's hair cut whist she is in his care
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire