13262538

I have a 9 year old son who lives with his mother ( my ex wife).

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old son who lives with his mother ( my ex wife). We have been divorced for 3 years. I am now re married and my ex wife lives in our former family home with her boyfriend of 4 years. I have been paying maintenance since I left the family home in 2008. The sum has been equal to 15% of my take home pay.

The question is, do I still have to pay at this level now that my ex wife has a long term boyfriend living with her?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to help you.
Assuming that you are referring to child maintenance then yes you do need to continue paying at what is actually the CSA rate for a single child.
The only factors which reduce this is if you have other children in your household or you have your son more than 52 nights a year
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further assistance
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, I live abroad but my work position has changed and I have been unemployed since April but have kept up payments. I now need to make an adjustment in payments. Whatever the sum, is child maintenance for the child solely or can it be used towards the household budget. I do not see that GBP400 per month is being used entirely on my son. If I have to reduce the amount paid does my wife have the right to stop me seeing or talking to my son?

Do you pay under a Court Order?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it is voluntary

What contact do you have at the moment - and how likely is it that you will be working again soon?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you are talking about the contract between my ex and I then there isn't one. We tried to keep things amicable for my sons sake. I should be working again in September

Sorry - I meant between you and your son!
Claire