Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My husband and I are at a point of divorce. We have been married

Customer Question

My husband and I are at a point of divorce. We have been married now for 8 years. And have 2 children born in the marriage and 1 of mine that he has taken as his own.
We left England in November 2013 for me to live in my country of origin with the kids for about 2 years, and he would just be travelling back and forth.
After the 2nd visit he loved the country just as much and felt that we should move back here, and so it was decided that he would move as well.
There were a few personal issues to sort out and we had settled them so we thought.
All steps were taken and he decided that he was going to ship all our belongings to Suriname which is where we are now. And rented our house out in UK.
He arrived here and things were soon to escalate between us and massive rows resulted.
I then took the step to talk to him and told him that this is not working between us anymore. And he agreed on this, and he decided that going back to the UK would be the best option. We agreed that we would keep on talking and review this matter in 1 years time. He left after 2weeks and I never heard from him since. Until a few weeks ago I received an email that he wants to file for divorce and the reason that he wants to give is that I have deserted him. He has not spoken to the children since.
He has had no contact whatsoever. I confronted him with this and he stated that he had to get himself sorted out first. And in the mean time the container with our belongings arrived and I had to pay for all costs. The container contained our household and his office furniture and other belongings. He was going to start up a business here and closed down the one he had in UK. Now I am trying to negotiate with him which reason for divorce to use and financial support for the children. He requested the amount that I need for their support. I have given him an amount of 500GBP and he came with a counter offer of 150GBP, I stated nicely that this is not enough if he could he review. HIs counter statement is requesting for a breakdown of the costs for the children because 500GBP is too much and in the UK the cost of a child is 23GBP a week and we should share this. Now in the fact of sharing this is impossible due to the fact that I don't have a job and no money in the bank. I have been borrowing of family members to feed my children. Since he left he didn't send any money either, and he knew I was near empty then. My question is what do I do now? Do I consent to the reason requested by him to get the divorce over with? In regards XXXXX XXXXX children what are my rights? In regards XXXXX XXXXX debts on his name what should I do? He has 4 mortgages still on interest payments. He has business debts, he has small credit card debts, he was dealing with a HMRC debt.
I just need as much advice as I can get.

Thank you very Much

Nadine Bouterse
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
What assets doe she have and what income does he have?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have no money and no job. I am the wife. He has as far as I know debts only as I have stated before. I have no contact with him outside mailing in regards to this divorce.
Sorry there was a typing error - I was asking if he had any assets in the UK
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No he has only the 4 houses but those are mortgaged. He has a business that he invested more then 300000GBP in, but he has seen no penny back from it. It is invested in Africa where he is from.
Are the houses also in Africa?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No in England. I don't understand this line of questioning. what does all of this got to do with his houses. he doesn't own them. the bank does as they are all mortgaged and they have less value as bought.

Are you sure they are in negative equity or has he just told you they are?
I ask because the financial issues are clear;y important and if there is money in these house you are entitled to a share of it
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No 100% sure!

I am very concerned about your position - for clarity - do you actually want a divorce?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I want a divorce. I just want to know what I can expect and what the kids can expect financially. Or better yet what they are entitled to. I don't really care about myself as much. I just want to make sure that they are fine in future and now. What does it mean if he requests for divorce "desertion" in reality I did not leave him but for convenience and speed he wants to do it that way.