13262538

my wife and i split 12 months ago, she kicked me out, in the

Customer Question

my wife and i split 12 months ago, she kicked me out, in the last 12 months my father has died from cancer leaving me some money, she has now appiled for a divorce and wants 50% of my inheritance, where do i stand on this?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How long did you live together and are there any children involved.
What family assets are there and how much have you inherited?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, we lived together for 9 years, married for the last 2 of them, we have 2 children, megan 6 and ruben 4, we lived in rented houses, only assets would be we have a car each, i am about to receive around 35k, should be in the next few weeks.

jay

What income do you each have?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, i am self employed earning around 12k my wife has been studying for the passed 9 years, and has just qualified as a teacher, she starts this sept on 25k per year.

What is her current housing position and how is the care of the children shared between you?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she is living in the a rented house, I am staying at a friends house, on the drive, in a caravan, we have the children jointly, I have them tues fri sat sun one week then tues and wed the next, this arrangement was set up by heather.

Whilst in general terms the fact that your Inherited the money after the separation would mean that the court would be unlikely to award your ex a share of your Inheritance.
However since there are no other capital to divide between you then there is a good chance that the court will order that you pay her a lump sum - although it is unlikely to be as much as 50%
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire