13262538

We have two properties both in joint names, one property we

We have two properties both in joint names, one property we live in and the other we let. My husband was left a property by an aunt which we sold and brought the property that we now let. If we divorce how do I stand regarding the property that we let.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
How much are the properties worth and what other assets are there?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Claire

We have been married and living together for 33 years, we have 2 grown children, 26 and 31, the 26 old still lives with us. The house we live in at present is worth approx £350,000 and the other which we lived in for 6 years before we let it is worth approx £250,000. We have premium bonds valued £30,000. There are no mortgages on the properties.

Pam

When did he Inherit the property?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He inherited a property 11 years ago which he sold. We invested the money for a while and then brought the 2nd property later on.

Just to be clear I understood your account above there was a period when you lived together in the house purchased with the Inheritance?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes we did for 4 years not 6 as previously stated.

Excellent news - thank you
In that case the starting point for division of the Matrimonial assets is 50/50 and it is unlikely that it will depart much from this.
The fact that the Inheritance was used to purchase a property which became the Matrimonial home means that it was subsumed into the assets
It is possible that it could be a 60/40 split in his favour to reflect the inheritance
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Claire