How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Can court refund child support money paid before the DNA proved

Customer Question

Can court refund child support money paid before the DNA proved that i am not the father of a child or can court ordered the mother of the child to refund the money paid to her through child support before DNA proved i am not d father of the child.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Were the payments made via the Court of the CSA; were you named on the birth certificate and at what stage was the DNA test ordered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My name was name in the birth certificate in october last year ,d the child was born on january lasy year. The payment was not made via court to CSA, the payment was made directly to CSA by me. DNA test was ordered by court in April this year.









Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
So you were there when the child was Registered is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i was there, but there DNA prove that i am not father of the child.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, i was there when it was registered, but it was registered when the child was eight month old, before then i was paying child support.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Why did you not ask for a DNA test earlier?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She made me to believe that the child was mine initially, but when i asked her for DNA test she decline, that was when i was in doubt that the child was mine and that make me to go to court for court to order her to do the test. Also i did not know that a woman start counting when she was pregnant the last time she sees her period and not the last time she had sex. I was convince by the woman to believe that the child was mine.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The money that you paid to the CSA cannot be recovered as you did not challenge the parentage when the assessment was made.
You can try and sue her for the money that was paid to her prior to the CSA assessment - but this will only be effective IF you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that she MUST have known that the child was not yours then you may be successful - but there is no guarantee I am afraid
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,