13262538

Hellow, My husband has given me some jewelary as wedding

Customer Question

Hellow, My husband has given me some jewelary as wedding presents. If we split up dose he have any claim to them. He also bought me a car. he paid for it but it is registered in my name. I have paid for insurance, road tax and MOT.Dose he have any claim to the car. At the moment he is living in my house. I pay all the bills . He makes a £200 contrubution to household bills and pays for the shopping , about £400 a month. Dose he have any claim to the house. Thank You. Mrs Pattenden

Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much are the jewellry and the car worth?
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jewellry is worth about £5000

Car worth about £2500

We each have are own houses. My husband was renting out his and we are living in mine. My name are on the deeds for my house and his name are on his deeds.My house is worth about £100,00 with 56,000 left on the morgage. His house is up for sale at the moment for 150,000.

We wach have adult children . I have 2 and he has 3.

We have been married 18 months.

I don't want a claim on his house or his savings or pention .

Did you live together prior to the marriage at all?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A few months before he went to work in Oman. One of the main reasons we got married was so I could join him in the middle east, he had a year lrft on two year contract.It not advised to live together in the middle east. It was our p[lan that after we wetre marrted I would join him in the summer. However he was made redundant from that company 2 weeks after the wedding . He then came back to the UK.

The short length of your relationship means that neither of you has any substantial financial claim on the other.
He does have the right to live in your home whilst you are married since it is the matrimonial home - but he has no more financial claim on it than you do on his.
The gifts that he has given you are just that - gifts he has given and that you can retain if you wish
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire