13262538

Who benefits from my parents estate if I am living apart from

Customer Question

Who benefits from my parents estate if I am living apart from my husband but we aren't legally separated? Would it be counted as part of my assets when discussing financial settlement?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you.
Assets that are inherited are always treated in a different way to other matrimonial assets - all the more so when they are inherited after separation
The fact that you have these assets available to you will mean that you will not receive more than 50% of the Matrimonial Assets - but your ex will only get a share of the inheritance if there are insufficient matrimonial assets to make a fair division between you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire