13262538

My son is dyslexic, however I feel his current school is not

Customer Question

My son is dyslexic, however I feel his current school is not dealing with his needs sufficiently i.e. additionally learning such as - extra guided reading sessions; daily reading with a teaching assistant and group work for spelling. He can barely string a sentence together and he is 8 years.

Instead the school have informed Social Services and reported wild allegations against me, the mother that I am harming my child i.e. tying him to the bed as he sleeps walks and various crazy things that are not true. Due to this, I've had to put my holiday on hold, whilst social services staff visit my home address on a weekly basis to speak with my son. They have just managed to complete a combined assessment of 7-7 days on a core assessment valued over a 6-8 week period. The outcome I have yet to hear as to whether they will be taking action against me.

In the meantime, my worry is that the school are overlooking their responsibility to address his literacy skills, accelerate him to become a statemented child, before he will receive additional help. Who is to say, the damage is already done and it will be hard for him to continue and complete his GCSE's by the age of 11 years of age.

Could you inform of what support can be offered for addressing the educational needs? Could you also inform if I can make a complaint on how the school has treated me and if there is anyway to file a complaint?
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When and by whom was the Dyslexia diagnosed
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It hasn't really been iagnose by the county council, however, my private tutor believes he is. His readng level is 2c and his writing level is 1a and he is in Year 3but will begin in Year 4 - September 2013. He is currently working in Phase 5 phonics.

I hope this helps.

Tracy XXXXXX

have you actually asked for your son to be Statemented?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. The headmistress told me he is one stage away from being statemented. I am not really in favour for him to be statemented, as I feel they have willfully stopped educating him to get it. For example, during the start of the first term last year, from October 2012 to December 2012, they did not give him a reading book for up six weeks!! This was when I decided to employ a private tutor from January 2013 until March 2013 for 10 weekly sessions. He improved in leaps and bounds, halfway through this programme.

Can they do this?

I am sorry I am a little confused - I thought you wished him to have the extra help that Statementing will bring?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I do want him to get help. I am not aware of the services that statementing can bring. Do you know the services? I feel he should get it now, instead of later. Is there any chance that this could happen?

At the moment you have no Official diagnosis of your son's problems and therefore the School cannot be expected to address them.
It appears in fact that they are already following the correct process.
They have provided Counselling and dealt with the other possible problems.
The only way that the extra help that you son appears to need is via an Assessment that identifies the problem and what needs to be done to address it.
The outcome of the assessment will possibly be a Statement of Educational Needs - which will then set out what extra help he needs and how that help can be provided.
You can read more about the process here
https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/overview
If the council will not assess the dyslexia then you may have to consider an independent assessment
http://dyslexiaaction.org.uk/what-dyslexia-action?gclid=CKiqt-SenbkCFZQZtAodwiQAFw
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further information
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

I'd like to clarify that it has been me for the past 4-5 years trying to get the right help for my son, from his school, but to no avail. The school he is attending was aware 2 years ago of his difficulty of reading and writing and it is only now they are taking an interesting. However, they have wasted time monitoring his behaviour in class as a reason, not to action further help. They were pro-active to have him prescribed ADHD medication, even though, the Paediatrician assessed that it was not ADHD. He supported that to improve his reading and writing was Education. This appointment took place this February 2013.

I was left in a position in total despair to address this situation. I have now got an appointment with dyslexia action. I had to contact our local council for the address for dyslexia action and contact the educational psychologist for the EP assessment, which doesn't look to me as a literacy assessment. It's called a Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC, 4th UKedition). He scored in his Verbal Comprehension - Average, Perceptual Reasoning - High Average, Working Memory - Average and Processing Speed - Average. Would this help with Dyslexia Action for a programme of support?

Thank you for your outcome, but I have been advised there are two tests that they may decide for application to continue what exactly my son needs. They are a Psychology assessment priced at £475 and a Teacher's Assessment priced at £365. No way will I be able to pay this. Do you know if there is financial help for this? As I can see this delaying the diagnosis for additional support.

I look forward to you reply,

Tracy XXXXX

Have you asked the Local Authority to complete a Statement of Special Educational needs?
They do not charge for this?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

What a week I've had. I have met at the school this week with Social Services and the Assistant Deputy Head who have expressed their concerns with my son's behaviour. His school have expressed he is disruptive, however, when he is at home, he is calm when watching TV and playing computer games. The only thing I would agree with, is that he doesn't take orders at first request. It used to take 4-5 requests, however, it only takes 2-3 times now. I feel he has stood up for himself where others have done him wrong, is the disruptive nature, they are viewing. Numerous recordings were made, however, regarding the Statement of Special Educational Needs, he will not qualify as its hard to prove the behaviour.

If I asked the Local Authority at Chelmsford, would I be able to continue applying for the Statement and Lloyd has access to required support?

The Senior Case Worker has made an additional appointment with the school to view Lloyd's behaviour at school.

I believe Lloyd is being bullied at school therefore, it is interfering with his education. He feels scared as the boys in question, have actually said to him, 'Lloyd you won't have a Mum'. Social Services believe I am not meeting his needs, however, I have provided and met his needs and more, by accessing more information to get the right education as required.

I look forward to your reply,

Yours faithfully,

Tracy XXXXX

Have you actually requested the Local Authority to complete a Statement of Special Educational needs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I haven't. I've been appointed a representative from the Parent Partnership organisation, however, have yet to have a meeting or talk with them.

Yours faithfully,

Tracy XXXXX

May I ask why you have not yet requested this - given the fact that you feel he has Dyslexia ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not aware of the procedure to follow if he is dyslexic. A lot of the teachers who have worked with my son, have not told me he is dyslexic. It is only the private tutor that feels that he is. The school have only said that he has learning difficulties judged mainly by his behaviour, so it has been very confusing as to what path to take.

It's not until you venture off on your own, which I did when Lloyd was in Year 3, that it became clear there was a problem, however, it was also proven that 1-2-1 tuition helped him improve. However, at a cost at £250 for 10 sessions, it is very expensive.

Does this answer your question?

Tracy

You beleive that your son needs extra assistance - and the only way of achieving this is with a statement.
You are entitled to write and request that such a Statement is prepared and this should be your next step in obtaining the assistance he needs.
So a simple letter asking for an assessment - it will be interesting to see the response
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

Thanking you. I feel I would also like to keep in contact with yourself. I'll be composing a letter this weekend. So thank your for your help so far.

Tracy

Hi Tracy
You are most welcome
Claire