It hasn't really been iagnose by the county council, however, my private tutor believes he is. His readng level is 2c and his writing level is 1a and he is in Year 3but will begin in Year 4 - September 2013. He is currently working in Phase 5 phonics.
I hope this helps.
No. The headmistress told me he is one stage away from being statemented. I am not really in favour for him to be statemented, as I feel they have willfully stopped educating him to get it. For example, during the start of the first term last year, from October 2012 to December 2012, they did not give him a reading book for up six weeks!! This was when I decided to employ a private tutor from January 2013 until March 2013 for 10 weekly sessions. He improved in leaps and bounds, halfway through this programme.
Can they do this?
Yes, I do want him to get help. I am not aware of the services that statementing can bring. Do you know the services? I feel he should get it now, instead of later. Is there any chance that this could happen?
Thank you for your advice.
I'd like to clarify that it has been me for the past 4-5 years trying to get the right help for my son, from his school, but to no avail. The school he is attending was aware 2 years ago of his difficulty of reading and writing and it is only now they are taking an interesting. However, they have wasted time monitoring his behaviour in class as a reason, not to action further help. They were pro-active to have him prescribed ADHD medication, even though, the Paediatrician assessed that it was not ADHD. He supported that to improve his reading and writing was Education. This appointment took place this February 2013.
I was left in a position in total despair to address this situation. I have now got an appointment with dyslexia action. I had to contact our local council for the address for dyslexia action and contact the educational psychologist for the EP assessment, which doesn't look to me as a literacy assessment. It's called a Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC, 4th UKedition). He scored in his Verbal Comprehension - Average, Perceptual Reasoning - High Average, Working Memory - Average and Processing Speed - Average. Would this help with Dyslexia Action for a programme of support?
Thank you for your outcome, but I have been advised there are two tests that they may decide for application to continue what exactly my son needs. They are a Psychology assessment priced at £475 and a Teacher's Assessment priced at £365. No way will I be able to pay this. Do you know if there is financial help for this? As I can see this delaying the diagnosis for additional support.
I look forward to you reply,
What a week I've had. I have met at the school this week with Social Services and the Assistant Deputy Head who have expressed their concerns with my son's behaviour. His school have expressed he is disruptive, however, when he is at home, he is calm when watching TV and playing computer games. The only thing I would agree with, is that he doesn't take orders at first request. It used to take 4-5 requests, however, it only takes 2-3 times now. I feel he has stood up for himself where others have done him wrong, is the disruptive nature, they are viewing. Numerous recordings were made, however, regarding the Statement of Special Educational Needs, he will not qualify as its hard to prove the behaviour.
If I asked the Local Authority at Chelmsford, would I be able to continue applying for the Statement and Lloyd has access to required support?
The Senior Case Worker has made an additional appointment with the school to view Lloyd's behaviour at school.
I believe Lloyd is being bullied at school therefore, it is interfering with his education. He feels scared as the boys in question, have actually said to him, 'Lloyd you won't have a Mum'. Social Services believe I am not meeting his needs, however, I have provided and met his needs and more, by accessing more information to get the right education as required.
I look forward to your reply,
No, I haven't. I've been appointed a representative from the Parent Partnership organisation, however, have yet to have a meeting or talk with them.
I am not aware of the procedure to follow if he is dyslexic. A lot of the teachers who have worked with my son, have not told me he is dyslexic. It is only the private tutor that feels that he is. The school have only said that he has learning difficulties judged mainly by his behaviour, so it has been very confusing as to what path to take.
It's not until you venture off on your own, which I did when Lloyd was in Year 3, that it became clear there was a problem, however, it was also proven that 1-2-1 tuition helped him improve. However, at a cost at £250 for 10 sessions, it is very expensive.
Does this answer your question?
Thanking you. I feel I would also like to keep in contact with yourself. I'll be composing a letter this weekend. So thank your for your help so far.