How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Relation in Spain

Customer Question

i have a relation who has lived in spain for the last 19 years who is claiming a British state pension. She is elderly and in reasonable health. Unfortunately i do not have room to house her. Am i entitled to bring her back to this country and am i entitled to any benefits or housing for her? Where as i could contribute some funds i don't believe i will be able to keep her financially . If possible i would like to bring my relation back into the country but i also know there is finiacial implications. Can you advise how i can do this and what i could expect from the state and what i will have to cover myself?


Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

I assume she is a British passport holder? Does she have any savings or capital please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes she has a British passport but no savings
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Any capital at all please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no nothing that i know of.
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
If she is a British citizen then she can just come back to the UK. She would be eligible to get Pension Credit if her income is low, plus be entitled to Housing and Council Tax benefit if she has limited income and no assets.

It is a straight forward process and could apply for benefit as soon as she gets into the UK. I would suggest finding suitable housing before she comes back and then she may be able to apply benefits. The benefit could be backdated to when he claimed.

Can I clarify anything fro you? Alex

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou. Could i apply for retired housing or homes as if she was a residant ?
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
That is possible but it would be based on need and priority. You would need to get a copy of the banding Policy to see where she would fit in. Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.