cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  30 yrs experience
18726264

How can you get adivorcebwith no marriage certificate - I got

Customer Question

How can you get adivorcebwith no marriage certificate - I got married abroad
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Where did you get married? Why was there no marriage certificate or registration certificate? Can you explain the circumstances a little more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I got married in Ecuador (12 years ago). There was a certificate but i don't know where it is, I have a photocopy. I have contacted the registry office in Ecuador but they have not responded. Somebody said I can get an affidavit to prove i'm married, so I can get divorced. The marriage in UK is only registered with the Home Office.

Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in replying. You need to obtain the certificate form the registry in Ecuador and also if it isn ot in english get a proper translation as you need to produce this to the court. a photocopy is not sufficient. There is no procedure for registering overseas marriages in the UK although you may have produced evidence to the Home office at some point that is not registration. Does you spouse not have a copy either?