joannem1965
joannem1965, Barrister
Experience:  I am a solicitor
12804206

hello any lawyer available?

Customer Question

hello any lawyer available?
Expert:  joannem1965 replied 4 years ago.
Boo. Here I am
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have a partner and she just have a baby but she insisted that she wont add my name as the father of the child because of some selfish reason what can i do to add my name and get full right on my child

It doesn’t matter whether you are on the birth certificate or not, you cannot insist on being present when she registers the birth and she can put any name on it that she likes, and she can register it at any time
You could only get added to the birth certificate with a court order or by reregistering the birth.
Here is some reading for you

https://www.gov.uk/adding-fathers-name-birth-certificate

If you split up, then whether you are on the birth certificate or not, as there is no issue it seems over whether the child is yours or not you have exactly the same rights to contact regardless and you have the same liability to pay child maintenance.

Please do not forget to positively rate my answer if you have not done already so that I get credit for my time here today. Unless you do that, I get no credit and therefore don’t get paid. The thread does stay open. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for the answer but how can i get the court order. what are the procedure.

will i need to get a solicitor to help me out? or can i do it all by self.

You can do it yourself if you know what you are doing or you might want to get a solicitor to do it.
There is no legal aid to this and you would be liable for the all the legal costs.
First thing to do is apply to court for a parental responsibility order

https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-responsibilities/apply-for-parental-responsibility

once you have that, you can apply to amend the birth certificate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats fine but at the moment the birth certificate has not been issued. She only make a treat to me. so i guess i will have to wait for get the certificate or is there anything i can do to stop her.

No, you can’t do anything to stop her. She can pop out one morning to the shops, and go to the register office and register the birth without you although she does have to make an appointment. You can’t do anything about that.
She does have to register it (or someone has to register it) within seven days
At this stage, you are going to get further with a kind appealing word than a gun and threats and it might be worthwhile smiling sweetly and being extra nice, particularly if you are still together.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I really appreciate it. T
You're welcome.