Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

My ex partner is taking money from my 4yr old sons bankaccount,

Customer Question

My ex partner is taking money from my 4yr old son's bankaccount, how can I stop if.
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain a little more about the situation.
Where did the money come from and what is your ex doing with the money?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My ex and I have split up, there is £500 off the government when my son was born and about £1500 that he received at birthdays and Christmas gifts and money that I have generously given him. I noticed the other day that £30 was taken out of the account, and asked her if she knew anything about it, she replied that she bought him a game. My argumentiis, he is only 4yr old and does not know the meaning of money. I do pay her maintenance. Any way I can stop her accessing his account, I have been to the bank, they said no. Vaughan.

Were you married?
Whose name is on the account and are there any other financial links between you?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The account is in my son's name, we both signed at the bank when we set the account up. We weren't married, just lived together for 5writing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The account is in my son's name, we both signed at the bank when we set the account up. We weren't married, just lived together for 5yr. I pay my ex £300 per month for his upbringing.

Are you both signatories on the account - or just your ex?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The account only requires one signature to withdraw money, but she has hold of his bank book. Please help.

have you asked the bank to freeze the account?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they said no

This is always a difficult area to resolve
The starting point is to try and negotiate with your ex using Family Mediation to agree a way forward.
One option would be to freeze the account until the child is 16 - which would seem to be the better way forward.
If this is not possible then you will have to apply to the court for an order dealing with the issue - expensive and time consuming.
The application would be to remove your ex as a Trustee of the Account
This would be a difficult application under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act - and would be expensive I am afraid
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.