13262538

Joint ownership of property between a married couple

Customer Question

If my wife owned a property from before our marriage, is this property jointly owned between myself and herself after the wedding, as a married couple?

clairep80 :

clairep80 :

Thank you for your question

clairep80 :

My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you.

clairep80 :

The property will remain in the sole ownership of your wife unless steps are taken to transfer the ownership into your joint names.

clairep80 :

However you will have the right to live in the property if it is the matrimonial home - and you will have a financial claim on it in the event of a divorce with the amount you can claim rising the longer you are married

clairep80 :

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details