13262538

Common Law rights with Property

Customer Question

Please advise what my legal rights are as a common law partner, engaged for 3 years. I am on the deeds of the house, am I still entitled to half if my partner and I separate?  I was advised when I went on the deeds I was entitled to the house if my partner died but I'm not sure what happens if we separate. 

My partner and I have a joint account which the mortgage is paid from but I do not pay into this account.  Will this effect my rights?

My partner chooses to work overseas and I run and manage the house by myself.

We bought the property in October 2008 and there is equity in the property.

I look forward to hearing from you.

My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
How was the purchase funded and was a Declaration of Trust signed at that time
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire

I'm going to get the house valued this week but an estimate value would be around 280k and the balance owing is 141k. No I did not know about a Declaration of Trust, is this an important document?

How was the purchase funded?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By my partner, deposit and interest only mortgage.

So you partner provided all the deposit is that correct?
Do you know if you hold the property as Joint tenants - with the one who lives longest getting it all: or as Tenants in Common with you each owning a percentage share?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he did. We hold the property as Joint tenants. I will check my paperwork to see if I did sign A Declaration of Trust when I went on the deeds.

If there is no Declaration of Trust then you are entitled to 50% of the equity if you separate - and your ex will struggle to prove that he did not mean to give you this as a gift.
If he will not buy you out if you leave then you can apply to the court for the sale of the property so that you can receive your share
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Claire that's fantastic news, I can now start to move on with my life. Its a very difficult time as this is my home which I have made but as he paid for the house and pays the mortgage he says I'm not entitled to anything and I can take what I want and close the door behind me. That's why I have asked for your help! This is extremely difficult for me to cope with after 10 years!! I have checked my paperwork and the only documentation I can find is when we signed the transfer of deeds document, changing to joint tenants. On the covering letter the solicitor did comment on sending out the Declaration of Trust but we never received it. I will check with them tomorrow. What does it mean if we did sign this document, am I still entitled to 50% of the equity?

Does the letter say why there should be a Declaration of Trust - did you actually ever agree not to claim a share of the property
Claire