Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I own a large share of my home, and did before I met my partner.

Customer Question

I own a large share of my home, and did before I met my partner. If we marry and divorce, will he get half my house? How can I protect myself?
Also, if I inherit more money when we're married and we split, will he walk with half?
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and do you plan to have children together?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
We've lived together for a year. No children. Due to marry just want to understand what this means in terms of my finances should it not work out.

Many thanks.
The fact that you marry does not immediately give your new spouse a 50% share of your assets.
Indeed if you separate within the the first couple of years the first aim of the Family Court is to return each of you to the financial position you were in when you met and divide any excess between you
However the longer that you are together the larger the claim he will have on your assets - and once you have been married in excess of 15 years or so then he could indeed have a substantial claim on your assets - although any inherited assets are treated differently and provided you keep them in a separate account he may never have a claim on them
If you wish to try and protect your assets you can consider a Pre Nuptial Agreement although there is no Guarantee that a court woudl respect this if they considered the provisions unfair.
You can read more about them here
http://www.terry.co.uk/pre-nuptial.html
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.