familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

can I legally move into my grandparents house after they d

Customer Question

can I legally move into my grandparents house after they die?
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

If the property is owned by your grandparents, when the second one of them dies, the property will be administered by the trustees of his or her will (and the disposition of the house will be either what is set out in that will).

So, the short answer is that it will be up to the trustees, and if the will leaves the house to you, you probably can, and if the house is going to someone else it's unlikely you'll be able to move in (unless everyone involved agrees, of course).

I hope that is helpful.

Regards,
Magnus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

The house is willed to 3 people. my mother, aunt and uncle. my aunt and uncle are the trustees of the will. my grandad died in1997 and my nan died 3 weeks ago. the body has still not been realeased as my aunt and uncle refuse to take any action and realease the body and register the death. my mum has been told she is unable to do this and they are both trustees. does this change anythin??

It is obviously a complicated situation generally, but it does mean that there is no prospect of you being able to legally move into the property without your aunt and uncle's permission (as the trustees). Sorry not to be able to give you better news.

Regards,
Magnus