13262538

I am considering a divorce. Can I transfer my property to someone

Customer Question

I am considering a divorce. Can I transfer my property to someone else to protect it from my partner?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Has your partner contributed to any of the mortgage repayments?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My property is not the family home. I purchased it 6 years ago and have made all the mortgage repayments so far

My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you.
It would be most unwise for you to do this as the Court can set the transfer aside in any event and it will inevitable lead the court to view your actions as in some way suspicious which could work against you in the future.
AQccordingly you will achieve nothing positive at all
If you wish to have some guidance on how much risk this property is at I will need further information
Claire